Moving Forward: A Birthday Post

I turn another year older, today, and I'm hoping another year wiser too. Since earlier this month, Bianca has been asking me what I wanted for my birthday. She's always feeling generous with me this time of year because all her Christmas money is still mostly intact. I never really ask for anything from her except that she be a good girl, and she gets so frustrated every time I say this. "You say that every year mama! Please ask me for something, anything!"

I guess as I have gotten older, I've been more practical, favoring simple, practical things over fancy gadgets or expensive gifts. Take me grocery shopping at my neighborhood supermarket or health food store, or even the drug store (I'm always buying something in Mercury Drugstore) and I'm a happy camper. Or maybe I'm just boring that way? :)

I am so grateful for all the blessings, both big and small, that the past year has brought me. I wish I could say that I am recovering from my Parkinson's Disease, but I'm not. I feel that I was physically stronger last year. But I will not, and I refuse to dwell on that. I choose instead to move forward and  to focus on what it is that I can do. Whatever I lack in physical strength, God has replaced with an amazing strength in spirit, courage and positive attitude.

During our recent travel, I had to be mostly relegated to a wheelchair while in the airport since I couldn't tackle the long walk from the boarding and arrival gates. I wanted to feel sorry for myself, but I couldn't stop smiling. I was, after all, going on a trip of a lifetime.

Still, there are those days that are especially challenging and frustrating for me when I can't perform even the simplest of tasks. On these such days, I allow myself to sometimes lose my cool. Nobody is perfect. But everyday, as if on cue, God points me in the right direction by giving me a reason to be thankful. And just like that, all the frustrations just fade away.

I am blessed with the unconditional love and unwavering support of my family and friends from whom I draw my strength. Thank you for standing by me. I would also like to express my gratitude to those who have written to me through the blog, for your words of support and encouragement. Thank you for your prayers. I may not know you personally, but I sincerely hope I get the chance to meet all of you someday.


Sharing with you some funny photos of me mustering all my strength to do my infamous jumping shot. Bianca and I couldn't stop laughing because I was failing miserably to get my feet off the ground, and I kept dragging her down with me every time she would attempt to jump. Hahaha!
And here we are, finally both airborne, with me just a few inches above ground. Look at how high, Bianca's jump is. She's such a show off!
My birthday jump was so much better last year. But the Eiffel Tower in the background more than makes up for it, don't you think?!

Thank you, once again, for taking the time to read my birthday post. I enjoin all of you, let's all keep moving forward and seize the day!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Cyn, belated happy birthday to you! You and my mom have the same birthday, what do you know! I wish you and Bianca many more productive and abundant years ahead. I want to let you know that I pray for you everyday. Thank you so much for your inspiration and guidance. All the best....Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, really?! Happy, happy birthday to your mom! Thank you so much, Marie. Your prayers and words of encouragement mean a lot to me. All the best to you and your family :)

      Delete
  2. Belated Happy Birthday, Cyn! You are such an inspiration. <3 Keep blogging! I always look forward to your and your daughter's stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Toni, for your birthday greet and for all the lovely comments on our posts! Knowing that you look forward to reading our stories makes us all the more determined to keep on blogging. Hope we get the chance to meet again someday soon!

      Delete
  3. Lovely post! It is great that you had such a lovely day! Greets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful birthday! I wish you many more like this! Thank you for sharing this post! It is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Amy! I appreciate your comment.

      Delete

 
UA-53069073-1