Kitchen Stories- Mango Crepes

http://www.intercontinental.com/hotels/gb/en/manila/mnlha/hoteldetail?qAdlt=1&qBrs=6c.hi.ex.rs.ic.cp.in.sb.cw.cv&qChld=0&qFRA=1&qGRM=0&qPSt=0&qRRSrt=rt&qRms=1&qRpn=1&qRpp=10&qSHp=1&qSmP=3&qSrt=sBR&qWch=0&srb_u=1&cm_mmc=mdpr-_-GoogleMapsPH-_-ic-_-mnlha

I was having an early morning conversation about food with a friend a few days ago. She was telling me about a 50% discount currently ongoing at the Cafe Jeepney at Intercontinental Hotel, Manila.

At the mention of Cafe Jeepney, I was immediately transported back to the days when the cafe had real jeepneys with tables set up in the passenger side, and where diners could sit while enjoying their famous Crepes Samurai. I haven't been to Intercon in ages but I heard that their Crepes Samurai is still a consistent favorite.

I've only brought Bianca to Cafe Jeepney once when she was around 7 years old, and I was sad that no more of the iconic jeepneys were to be found. Instead, paintings, and a miniature Sarao jeepney were on display.

I couldn't get the Crepes Samurai out of my head after that conversation. Crepes Samurai is a sweet souffle like dessert made with mangoes, custard and with a delicate crepe topping. I can imagine this would be a challenge to make, so with the average kitchen skills that I have, I set out to make something simpler but close to the taste of the crepes I was craving for. 

I got Bianca to help me out in the kitchen to make this easy dessert and we're both happy with the results. 

For this recipe, we used store bought crepes. You can make your own crepes if you prefer, but my sister came home one day with these Village Gourmet ready made Sweet Crepes and it definitely makes things easier for me.


Recipe for Mango Crepes

Village Gourmet Sweet Crepes (1 pack contains 6 pieces)
2 cups diced mangoes or any fruit of choice
butter

Custard Cream
2 eggs
1/2 c granulated white sugar
1/4 c flour
1/4 c butter, softened
2 c fresh milk

Combine eggs, sugar, flour, butter and milk in a heat proof bowl. Mix well. Put bowl on top of a pot with 2 inches high of boiling water. Keep flame on medium high heat. Use a wire whisk and mix continuously to prevent from curdling. Cook until thick and creamy. Custard will coat back of a spoon when done.


Heat crepes on a non stick pan, brush with a little butter. Transfer to a plate and fill with mangoes and 2-3 tablespoons of custard. Fold crepes and drizzle with more cream, garnish with mangoes if you like.

Delicious!



Village Gourmet
breads & other gourmet products are
available in leading supermarkets.
website


3 comments:

 
UA-53069073-1