Jumping High

Today, I turn 45. And as with every birthday that I celebrate, I allow myself to be a bit emotional (okay, maybe a lot). 

I guess this comes from the fact that I am really getting older. More so, because I am getting closer to that ripe golden age of 50 and I'm in a mad dash to accomplish so much on my bucket list.

Being diagnosed in 2007 with Young Onset of Parkinson's Disease, a degenerative disorder that affects motor skills, all the more cemented the deal for me not to waste any more time in ticking off my must do's and must have's. Characterized by tremors of the hands and limbs, PD can be quite disabling. Simple, everyday tasks that most take for granted such as walking, cooking, hand writing, and typing require a lot of effort from me. 

My medication helps to give me a couple of hours a day to be productive, but it's never enough. I'm sure you'll agree with me when I say that a day is never enough even for the best of us, what more a couple of hours, so you understand my dilemma. My daily activities, most especially those that require me to step out of the house are always planned in time with the effectivity of my medication. And because, I can hardly be spontaneous, I have learned to value time- every second and every minute counts.

One of the reasons I got Bianca to start this blog with me is because I wanted both of us to have a happy place. A place where we could record beautiful memories together. She sees me struggling with the disease every day and this blog is proof that despite challenges, disabilities and ill health anyone can live a life full of love and laughter. And this is exactly my goal. To live the life I deserve, with grace and with dignity.

I started dabbling in writing as a therapeutic as well as creative outlet a couple of years back. Sharing with you excerpts from a personal article I wrote sometime in 2011.

My 12 year old daughter and I have this bedtime ritual where we update each other on our respective days. This usually ends in fits of laughter as we tell each other funny stories and jokes. In one of these occasions, she blurts out quite honestly, "Mom, how can you  laugh the way that you do? If I were as sick as you are, I don't know how I could ever be happy".
There are so many things I am thankful for. I am blessed with the boundless love of family and friends. The kind of love I would have never known had I not been in this situation. I have met some truly amazing and inspiring people along the way. I have dreams and aspirations. I have goals to fulfill. And I have my faith to hold on to. All these things, Parkinson's Disease can never take away from me. And that is more than enough to keep me smiling and to keep the laughter coming.


This photo was taken last weekend after Sunday mass. Bianca found it weird that I wanted to have a jumping shot. "Why not? No one's ever too old to have a jumping shot, right?"  :)

Thank you for taking the time to read this birthday post of mine. Let's all seize the day and make every moment count.



17 comments:

  1. Dear Cyn, you made me cry again. Thank you so much for the love and friendship. I will always treasure every single moment we spend together, especially our eating adventure and trying all the new restaurants in our bucket list, both in Manila and around the world. Soon we will be munching that yummy Levain chocolate chip cookies in NYC :-)

    Enjoy your special day and keep on smiling....with much love... :-)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for always being there for me : ) Yes! NY, here we come!!!

      Delete
  2. Cyn you are not getting older. You are simply re-living your life the way God willed you to. Stay happy and thank you for inspiring us to live a full life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tet! Thank you. Happy that we're still in touch after all these years.

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, your post is so timely! I am a really big fan because like you, I too have an only girl. I am a bit older than you and my little girl is only turning 8. I was confined very recently after having been diagnosed with a life threatening, lifelong heart condition. I have been really depressed because I feel like a walking time bomb due to my illness. Add to that my never ending and growing debts and financial worries. Many times I feel like I am at the end of the line. This post opened my eyes that no matter what, I can live my life happily. A very happy birthday to you. Thank you and God bless...Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, I'm so honored by your comment. Thank you so much! Stay strong and keep the faith. Nothing is impossible with God. Hope to hear from you again. Thanks for taking the time to read our blog : )

      Delete
  4. Hap-hap-happpppy birthday!!!!!!

    While our little something makes its way to you, here's another little something for now: http://www.chelyesguerra.com/2014/01/prompo-what.html

    Much love from us 4! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bong, Chely, Adi & Andres!

      Thank you for the lovely post you wrote about us. What a blessed birthday this has been! Caaake! in Mama's house on Sunday : )

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Hi, Donna! Thanks for the birthday greet and for always dropping by our blog. Hope to meet you someday soon when I get the chance to visit Davao : )

      Delete
    2. Hi po! You don't look an inch sick with that kind of disorder Mommy Cyn. I'm just delighted to see you very well. God really do wonders for us. Yay! I'm looking forward to meeting you and your adorable daughter Bianca. If that will push through, you're my 2nd blogger meet-up. God bless you both!

      Delete
  6. Belated happy birthday! Your positive energy is so inspiring. Reading about how you do your best to make the most out of your situation really puts me in my place, thinking about all the time that I've ever wasted procrastinating or complaining. At the same time, I'm reading it at the perfect point in my life, because I am now wanting (and slowly learning how) to live intentionally and fully. Thank you for being an inspiration to me today. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patty! I still fall prey to negativity once in awhile, but I'm learning everyday that making a conscious effort to surround myself with happy, nurturing people always gets me back on the right track. Have a wonderful long weekend! I'm really glad you dropped by : )

      Delete
    2. I'm glad I dropped by, too :) Sending you positive vibes today! :D

      Delete
  7. This is my first time ever to comment on a blog so pardon me for wanting to be unknown. By reading your blog entries from the most recent entry to the older ones, I never have guessed that you have been sick. You have so much positive energy and spirit, and so is your daughter. Such a refreshing blog. I wish that you'll get better and be healed from PD. Thanks for the inspiration. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Hope you drop by to read our blog again soon : )

      Delete

 
UA-53069073-1