The Way We Ate - Ramen Yushoken

By She Said

I follow quite a number of food blogs and spend a lot of my spare time reading about new restaurants and must eats that are recommended by my favorite food writers. And based on what I've read, it seems that Japanese Ramen is taking Manila by storm. So many ramen places are opening all over the metro and Ukkokei Ramen Ron in Makati, in my opinion, would be the most talked about. They have unique policies such as no take out and strict no ramen sharing rules, as well as no shoes in the dining area.

I wanted to find out for myself what the fuss was all about so,  when my sister offered to treat me to a belated birthday dinner, I grabbed the chance and said I wanted to try Ramen Yushoken in Alabang.

 This ramen place has been generating quite a buzz recently and is quickly becoming a food destination ever since it opened its doors last December. Owned by Elbert Cuenca of Elbert's Steak Room fame, Ramen Yushoken aims to give you a one of a kind ramen house experience.

What sets this place apart is that it was put up with the help of of the son of the Ramen God.  Yes, you heard that, right. Ramen is taken seriously in Japan and Yamagishi Kazuo, credited for inventing the Tsukumen dipping noodles, is the anointed Ramen God. His "son", Koji Tashiro was recently in Manila to oversee operations at Ramen Yushoken to make sure every bowl that comes out of the kitchen is as authentic as it should be.

We made sure to be there at 530pm for an early dinner as we had already heard that lines can be long, specially on weekends. They only serve about 200 bowls of ramen in a day, and there have been stories that they sometimes close their doors early when they run out of broth.

The menu focuses on ramen and complimentary side dishes. There are no desserts, no coffee, not even background music, just as it would be if you visited a ramen place in Japan. 

No take outs allowed. I wanted to secretly wrap these perfectly seared Gyoza in paper napkins so I could have them for breakfast the next day.

Karaage- boneless fried chicken

Shio Tonkutso Ramen- salt based broth. Noodles are made in house, they are firm, springy and perfectly al dente.

Chahan Fried Rice

 Aji Tamago- marinated soft boiled eggs

Tonkutso Tsukumen- is a deconstructed ramen. Soup and noodles are served separately and you eat this by first dipping some noodles with the tips of your chopsticks into the rich broth, then slurp it up :)

I had a fun and memorable dinner with two of  my favorite eating accomplices- my daughter & my sister. Thank you! We also got to chat with Elbert who told us that an Elbert's Steak Room in Alabang is currently in the works! Exciting times for those who live in the south.



Ramen Yushoken
Molito Lifestyle Mall
Commerce Avenue,
Alabang, Muntinlupa City
Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
UA-53069073-1